So, it's finally happened. Let me 'splain! When we moved to Ohio, I was 7 months pregnant with Nate, Kennie was 3 and Justin was 2. I was a bit overwhelmed at the thought of moving away from my safe home (okay, so D.C. was not safe, especially the area we lived in, but just pretend!) We knew 1 family that lived within 30 minutes of Dayton, but I was scared. I was one that didn't take change well.
Dayton got off to a rocky start. Our house was a gazillion years old and looked it. No carpet and my raging hormones made the problems much worse than they probably were. However, within a few days, it was evident that Dayton was home. We were invited to the courtyard cookout and instantly felt loved and accepted. Kennie and Justin were the happiest I had ever seen them. The next 3 years were a dream (kind-of) and I was VERY sad at the thought of leaving. However, I knew there wasn't a choice, so I tried to be positive with our move. Anchorage scared me (okay terrified me) and most of it was leaving my home. (Still hurts!)
Anchorage started out worse than I could have ever imagined. I have never felt so alone. I have never been so full of despair and the "why me" mentality. I couldn't figure out how a loving God would take me from what I had in Dayton to Anchorage. We met the Holmes pretty quick and gelled with their family. They were a HUGE blessing in my life those first few months. I am sure I saturated her, but I had no where else to turn. I have so much respect for her and who she was for me.
So, for the next 2 1/2 years, we need to get as many girls nights, play dates at Arctic Playground, workouts at the base gyms, play groups and whatever we might come up with. Maybe even a craft night! To you - my Anchorage friends (you know who you are...) I say thank you!
12 comments:
I'm happy for you, Sassy! It seems to take awhile to feel at home in a new place- and it's a hard phase.
But we still miss you!
I'm glad to know you are making friends and feeling more at home in Alaska. It makes me happy to know that. God always has a way of stretching us in ways we didn't think possible. He really is watching out for you.
I'm happy that you feel comfortable in Alaska now.
well, i'm not an anchorage friend, but i'm so happy to hear this!! i hope that things just keep getting better and better! and hopefully i get to see alaska and you come visit me in japan!
That's really great Sassy.
I'm so happy you finally feel comfortable here!! I know how hard it was when you started out, it's great that you've gotten in the groove =) I totally feel your pain. I am not sure that I am thrilled to be here, but Christmas, for some reason, really just helped to set in the fact that we live here (maybe it's because we still have our tree up =) I still really miss Virginia, which completely became our home, but I am not as sad about it as I was a month ago. I don't think I'll cry when we leave here, haha (although Heath really likes it here). I will say that I can NOT wait till summer and will be totally bummed when it leaves again! Need sunshine!
sassy you are so cute!!! I am so incredibly you guys moved here. As hard as it was to leave your "home", you have been a true blessing in my life. Even if you don't know it. :) Just wish I was closer to you (on base) so I could just run on over to your place.
Oh, and I would love to meet up for all those fun things you listed. Arctic playgroundz, workout on base, shopping, etc. I am up for it all. :) We could also wii fit over here too. My kids love that.
So glad to be one of your Alaska friends! Thanks for always being there for me. Lots of fun to come!
Yay! That is great news friend!!! Love ya!
Thank you for the card. I showed my mom and we both agree that you have a beautiful family!
I'm so glad that you have found your niche in Alaska. They are lucky to have you.
xoxo
reading through your blog and this post totally is making me bawl my head off. Can you tell I'm "homesick"? :(
Post a Comment