Design

Friday, March 11, 2011

Tokyo Earthquake

I have been awake for 30 hours at this moment.  I am utterly exhausted!  However, today was a pretty big day and I would like to document my feelings/emotions while they are still fresh and not clouded by sleep or the day to day happenings of life. 



This may be a familiar picture to you if you have been watching the news.  This is a picture I found of the earthquake that happened Friday, March 11th at 3:46 Japanese time.  It measured as an 8.9 on the rictor scale.  According to CNN, it is the 7th largest earthquake since records started being kept.

Well, if you haven't already seen, I was there.  Shelby and I were getting the kids out of the car at the 100 Yen store.  This was our last stop as we headed to the base to get me checked in and hopefully on the plane.  Things started to shake.  I was trying to wake Maggie up so she could shop (her favorite thing to do) and everything started moving.  At first, Shelby thought that the car next to us thought we were to close so it started sending shock waves.  I thought the car had started bouncing.  This goes to show you that you don't always think rational thoughts in the middle of something like this is.  We finally came to terms with what was going on and just looked at each other like what are we going to do next.  It felt like it lasted forever.  People came running out of the store.  Kids were crying and parents were trying to figure out what was going on.

I still wasn't sure what was going on, but I knew that we needed to keep the kids close.  (Sidenote: this was hard to do.  Kennie & Justin were excited to go spend their Yen and Nate didn't have his meds so he was bouncing off the wall.)    We tried to keep ourselves calm (which I think we did really good) !!  It ended, and the kids wanted to go in.  So we did.  We were in and out in less than 20 minutes to get to the base.  As we were driving, the first aftershock hit.  It registered at a 7.1.  2 women in a van with 6 kids and no ability to call out because all of the lines were jammed.  I said a silent prayer that Shelby and I would stay calm.  We both posted a quick funny message on facebook, not realizing how big of a deal it was.  (Which I am very grateful we did.)

We got to the base and inside.  Did roll call, checked bags, stamped out of the country and paid for meals.  Said our (very difficult) goodbyes to Shelby, Sol and Hazel and went through the terminal check point.  Tears streaming down Sol, Shelby, Hazel and my cheeks.  (Hazel was tired.)  I wasn't ready to go.  I still had thing to do and I was enjoying having company other than my 4 rugrats.

It wasn't until we settled waiting for them to load us on the bus that we (all 35 passengers) realized how much devastation was caused.  The severity of the situation and the thousands of people that were being effected right that minute.  People tried calling out, I tried calling my ride home from the airport, but still, all phone lines were jammed.  I tried logging onto wifi to message friends and my mom, but the wifi was down.  I literally had no contact with anyone outside of that terminal.  It was then that the message and truth of the gospel comforted me.  I knew that whatever happened, I would be together again with my husband.  We would be a family.  I could see my husband smile at me and tell me that I was doing great, even though I wasn't. 

I know that Aaron trusts me and my ability to act in stressful situations.  For the most part, I keep a clear head and am able to know the things I should and shouldn't do.  I kept the kids calm and was able to prepare for the 7 hour flight in front of us.  I carried 2 back packs, my carry on bag, my purse, a food/drink bag, 2 pillow pets and 2 coats (and myself) to the bus and to the plane.  Then back to the bus and back to the terminal. 

Folks, I wish this was the end of my story.  About 20 minutes after take off, I started smell gas fumes.  I mentioned it to the Air Force guy in charge (don't know his title, sorry) and he realized it was gas fumes.  They started looking around as it got worse and realized that some of the cargo on board was leaking.  They cleaned up the line of gas going towards the back of the bus and it stopped, so they didn't worry about it.  They handed out meals.  My kids ate then all laid down for sleep time.  About 2 hours later, they announced overhead that they were going to drop the oxygen masks and that it wasn't required, but if we were sitting in our chairs, it would be smart to put it on.  The fumes were still there but not really changing. 

About an hour later, they came back on again and explained that the fumes were getting stronger so it was now required to put the mask on.  (Realize, I had not gotten any sleep at this point.)  So, I got Kennie up and in the chair.  In his seat belt and his mask on.  He went back to sleep.  Did the same with Nate.  Justin was harder to get up and in his chair, but he eventually made it there.  I then picked up Maggie and there was no way she was going to wake up.  So, she laid on my lap.  Put the oxygen masks on everyone, gave Justin permission to play his DSi (he couldn't go back to sleep) and closed my eyes for a few minutes,  I slept for just shy of 45 minutes.  We wore the oxygen masks all the way to Anchorage.  Got ourselves off the plane, to the terminal, discharged by the medical staff and all 7 checked bags, 4 backpacks, my purse, my carry on, 3 pillow pets and 4 coats to the car.  (Okay, we left my purse and Nate's backpack at the terminal) and got in Stacie's car.

That was 12 hours ago.  I still haven't slept.  I am at 31 hours with no sleep.  I am D-E-A-D on my feet.  My eyes kill, my legs ache and my emotions are all over the board.  I can't wait to crawl into MY bed and sleep.  Hoping that tomorrow I will wake up to see this is only a nightmare.

I am realistic though.  Thousands of people's lives have been changed in a matter of moments.  I feel almost as helpless as I did 9-11 except I was there.  I felt the earth shake and the buildings move.  I selfishly said a prayer that our van would be kept safe.  My prayer was answered.  Thousands of others are not so fortunate.  My heart is so full of gratitude for my knowledge of our plan here on Earth and trust in our Heavenly Father that he and only he knows what will happen and giving us the tools of comfort and inspiration to help us get through those very trying and scary times. 

I am SO thankful I was with Shelby.  She is someone I can talk to.  She knows me and my thoughts without me even expressing them.  I trust her and I know she trusts me.  We made it through together.  Thank you Shelby!!  Thank you to all of those who were concerned for us and prayed for us.  Prayer is a very powerful tool and I know it works!  I am humbled that we were given this opportunity to learn and grow.  I have really realized what is important.  Not that I didn't already know.  I guess I was just reminded!

6 comments:

Lorraine said...

I am glad you made it home safely.

still in the process... said...

Wow! quite the life adventure... I'm glad you are safe and that you had a blast in Japan. Love Ya!

alisa said...

You all have been in our thoughts and prayers!!!!! Must have been so scary! Love you!

Leesa Marie Jones said...

I'm so glad you guys are safe. I thought about you when I watch the news the next morning. Crazy thing that you were still there and made it out so quickly.
Get some sleep!!

Ben and Ash said...

I am so glad that you were kept safe!! I was saying my prayers for you!!

xoxo

cryhurst said...

Cried while reading this. I'm so thankful you guys are safe. You are truly loved!!!