It has been a while. Not quite 2 years like last time, but still, a while. I wanted to explain the new blog as well as give you a chance to jump ship. I have decided to do something different this year. I signed up for the One Little Word yearlong workshop. There are a series of activities to help you understand your word and apply it to your life. Sound crazy? Maybe. I never claimed to be sane.
My 2017 OLW* is SING. Let me explain. In September, I ventured to Arlington Texas where I attended a TOFW with some of my favorite people. One of the talks pierced my heart. I could easily say that my word, sing, chose me. The talk was given by Sandra Turley. I have heard her speak before and in 2013 she directly answered the question burning in my heart. Side track with me for one minute - One thing that she said that was amazing is this: "Be worth knowing rather than well known." She also quoted Rob Garner saying "God gave us voices so we must sing." We can read Mother Mary's Psalm in Luke Chapter 1. Sandra asked us what our Psalm or song would sound like. It was then that I realized that as we live our life, we are writing our life song. What good is a song if it sits on a shelf, unsung and unplayed? It is no good. So, this year, I will sing my song.
I have been fearful in the past to sing my song. Why? I don't want to sound like I am bragging, seeking attention, upstaging, or downplaying others. I was afraid others would feel inferior after hearing my story. One quick example - Aaron recently received an award at work. He works extremely hard and it was SO fabulous seeing him receive recognition for his devotion and dedication to his job and his patients. I found my self afraid of someone getting their feelings hurt or think that I think any less of them because they didn't get an award or recognition. I hope this makes sense. I feel like I am just rambling.
I also am fearful that my thoughts and opinions that contradict yours will be seen as forceful and ignorant. We don't have to share the same opinions on everything to be friends. There are things that I feel strongly about and you feel very strongly about the opposite side of that same scenario. I support and love you for who you are and by doing so, support your right to voice your opinion. We still remain friendly and supportive. Please support my choice to voice my opinion. By doing so, it does NOT lessen my support of you and your rights. It's just my feelings and beliefs.
I am giving you an opportunity to jump ship, or change the station, if you don't want to hear my song. My feelings won't be hurt. I just refuse to let my fear dictate my thoughts and actions. I will not let fear win! By me sharing our accomplishments, activities, everyday life, and hard times, please remember this - I am not putting you down or trying to lift myself up. I am simply sharing my story. The amazing thing about this life is success and happiness is not like a pie. With a pie, there is only so much to go around. That is not the case with success and happiness. It's like air. There is plenty to go around. I have a challenge for you - share your song. Not just with me but the world.
You may notice that the blog name has changed. The former blog - The Lewis Dudes - was created before Little Miss Maggie was born or even a twinkle in our eye. {That was 8 years ago} She came into our lives and I just could never come up with a blog name that I felt fit. Well, I have found it now. Sassy's Song. This blog will serve several purposes. I will share the good, the bad, and the ugly. I will share successes of my husband and kids {and sometimes me}, I will share my thoughts and feelings of things going on in the world (I have a post already brewing in my mind!}, I will share the struggles that I face, and I will testify of things I know to be true.
Friends, we can believe different things and still be friends. That is the beauty of living in America. I support you. I want you to be happy. I want to make myself happy. The way that I am going to do that this year is to sing my song. One of my favorite things about the thought of singing my song is that often there is more than one voice singing a song. There is harmony and blending. That is you. You can help me sing my song, and at the same time, sing yours. A song is a beautiful thing. I cry at songs more than I do anything else. Songs can provoke SO much emotion in a short period of time. A good song can bring the spirit into my heart faster than anything else.
I leave you with one final thought. During Sandra Turley's talk, she said this - "We must not be swayed and we must NOT be silent." Your being silent doesn't benefit anyone. Please join me in choosing to SING!
*{OLW} = One Little Word - this will probably be seen throughout the 2017 year.
5 comments:
I love this post for so many reasons. I won't share them all here, but I did want to say that I'm glad you are sharing your song. Your song has blessed and changed my life, and has taught me so much, about myself, relationships, overcoming obstacles, and much much more. I can't wait to hear more of your song through this coming year, and I'm grateful to add a little harmony here and there. Love you lady!!!
Thank you for choosing to sing your song! You are a beautiful person & feel blessed that you were put in my path! Thank you for sharing & being so honest, much of what you said is how I feel! Love you sweetie!
Great intro to your renewed and revised blog. Sounds like it'll be more interesting and thought provoking than ever.
From Teachings of Presidents of the Church
Gordon B. Hinckley, Lesson 2:
"If we are to hold up this Church as an ensign to the nations and a light to the world, we must take on more of the luster of the life of Christ individually and in our own personal circumstances. In standing for the right, we must not be fearful of the consequences. We must never be afraid. Said Paul to Timothy:
“For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
“Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord” (2 Timothy 1:7–8).
"You cannot simply take for granted this cause, which is the cause of Christ. You cannot simply stand on the sidelines and watch the play between the forces of good and evil. …
"… I urge you with all the capacity that I have to reach out in a duty that stands beyond the requirements of our everyday lives; that is, to stand strong, even to become a leader in speaking up in behalf of those causes which make our civilization shine and which give comfort and peace to our lives. You can be a leader. You must be a leader, as a member of this Church, in those causes for which this Church stands. Do not let fear overcome your efforts."
Love you!!!!
Post a Comment