Design

Friday, February 19, 2010

Thoughts on Service

So, this month is focused on Service for Activity Days.  The 2 activities we had this month are my favorite that I have planned for the whole year.  I thought I would share our lessons.

The first activity was a washing feet party (I did receive permission from the bishop!).  The young women wanted to join us for this activity, so we had about 35 girls.  We had the lesson first.  My biggest desire with the lesson is that they realize the importance of the one act that Jesus Christ did.  I explained that in that time the servants usually are the one that washed the feet of the guests.  I then asked the girls if Christ was their servant.  They all answered quickly and loudly with a no.  I paused for a minute and told them that it was a trick servant.  Christ may not have been the servant of the building but he was a servant of our Heavenly Father.  We are all servants of our Heavenly Father.  We are to do the work that he wants us to do.  The single act of washing of the apostles feet proved to us that nobody is exempt for service.  It doesn't matter how much money we make, how big our house is, our job we have or where we are at in our life.  We are all comanded to serve others.

The 2nd activity was about the sacrament.  We took the first 20 minutes and mixed bread.  Enough for 2 loaves.  We put them in the bread pans and let them rise while we had the lesson.  The missionaries taught the girls about the Sacrament.  When it was introduced (before the washing of the feet), why it was introduced and what it means in our lives.  They even had a great object lesson.  The girls all listened intently.  You could have heard a pin drop.  They answered questions, they participated and enjoyed themselves.  When the missionaries finished, I talked to the girls for a minute.  Do people always know when we perform a service for them?  No.  I explained that sometimes the only one that knows the service was performed is us.  But, our Heavely Father and Jesus Christ always know what we do.  They are the only people that we need to know.  This coming Sunday, when the deacons pass the sacrament, they will be passing the bread that we made.  I explained to the girls that most people who partake of the sacrament will not know that they made the bread.  But, they will know.  It may be a small detail.  People probably won't know any difference.  All of that doesn't matter.

When we serve others, we are showing our love to our Heavenly Father.  The girls responded very well to the activities.  I am very pleased with the way the girls are learning and growing and I can see it happen.

2 comments:

Lorraine said...

Sounds like some wonderful and meaningful activities. I am sure they will remember these for a long time.

Crystal said...

You are awesome!!!