Design

Monday, May 19, 2008

More than we can handle?

I have always assured myself that the Lord would never give me more than I can handle. This is sometimes the only thing that would get me through the rough times. At times, I would take things by 5 minutes. I would pray, please, help me get through the next 5 minutes. Once those minutes were over, I would pray for help getting through the next 5. In all my doctors appointments and time in waiting rooms lately, I have been doing a lot of reading in the book by Sheri Dew, God Wants a Powerful People.

I have found this to be a very inspirational book. However, in my reading on Friday, I came across the following that negates the one thing that has gotten me through some of the toughest times in my life.

"We often reassure each other that we won't be tempted beyond that which we can bear. But the scripture are actually conditional on this point. We are counseled to humble ourselves before the Lord, to call on his holy name, and to watch and pray continually so that we will not be tempted above that which we can bear. In other words, the promise is based upon our righteous actions (see Alma 13:28-29).

Further, the Lord does give us more than we can handle -- by ourselves, that is. He does this so that we will have every opportunity and motivation to seek Him early, to put Him first. He atoned precisely so that we would not have to shoulder our burdens or the disappointments of mortality alone." (page 89-90)

Okay, so this blows everything I've ever told myself on this topic out of the water. I guess I need to work on humbling myself so that he will not give me too much more than I can handle. This will become my quest, however, I think I will wait until after the baby is born.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

7 comments:

Here at home said...

That sounds like a great book. I'll have to read it.
You are doing an amazing job. You're still alive and you're still sane, right? You've made this far. You've learned how to handle three kids, 4 will be a piece of cake.
Isn't it amazing that we have a Higher Source we can turn to for help through the rough times.

Momma Sarah said...

AH, but the great thing is that HE IS there for us and we CAN handle ANYTHING, WITH HIM. How awesome is that? I think you are on the right track! You are AWESOME!

Anonymous said...

I think that what Sheri Dew says is closer to what you were doing than you think. You see, by praying every 5 min to have strength to make it through that 5 min IS humbling yourself to ask for help and to not be pressed past what you can handle. YOu are awesome and your faith is amazing! I've been thinking about you a lot lately and just wanted to say I love and miss you!

Melisa said...

Sissy, I found you through Ashley Dent Sorensons blog! How are you? This is Melisa Roberds. E-mail me your e-mail so I can add you to my blog! melisa_gabrielsen@hotmail.com

Shelby and Johnny Family said...

hey sassy! i heard you say you had a blog, so i googled you. so fun! i didn't know you were reading that book too. i haven't gotten to that part yet, but i think sherri dew brings up a very interesting point-and in a way i've never thought of before. anyway, drop in to check out our blog any time!

homerxx75 said...

Hey Lewis family, this is Skyler Crofts (Formerly Elder Crofts). I was checking out Carsons blog and saw your names on his list. It was a lot of fun checking out all your pictures, your family has really grown! Well, I just wanted to say hi and see how you all were doing. Take care.

still in the process... said...

Well, at our house we have a little different twist on that quote... we look at it like this: God doesn't give us more than we can handle, so if you want "more" (time, money, spirituality, patience, etc..) you need to work on deserving "more". I like it, because I have lots of dreams and wishes for me and my family and it lets me know that I am not ready for some of them, but I can work toward them.