Old Testament time again. This week we studied Genesis 25-50. I had so much fun reading these chapters. So many great stories and lessons. Here is one that stuck with me throughout the week!
Joseph of Egypt - some would say he deserved a small portion of what he got. You can't be the youngest and taunt the older siblings by telling them they are going to bow down to you and you are going to rule over them. Probably not Joseph's best idea. However, he didn't deserve what his brothers did. One brother, Judah, convinced the others to not kill him. (Have you read Judah's story? I almost died laughing....check out Genesis 38!) He leaves for a bit and comes back to learn that his brothers sold Joseph into slavery.
Joseph is sold to Potiphar. You can see his work ethic and character shine bright during his time as a servant to Potiphar. He rises through the ranks and is given charge of Potiphar's household. Then, Potiphar's wife accuses Joseph of rape and he is thrown in prison. Again, Joseph begins to work and do what his character would have him do. This causes him to rise in the ranks at the prison until the keeper of the prison puts Joseph in charge. It's like everything Joseph tries to do, he succeeds.
He interprets the dreams of the Pharaoh's butler and baker. One of them dies, and one of them gets out of prison. He forgets about Joseph for 2 years until the Pharaoh has strange dreams and the butler remembers Joseph and tells Potiphar about him. In one day, Joseph goes from head prisoner to Vice Pharaoh in one day. (What do you think that looked like?)
The bottom line of Joseph is this: whatever he is, he is the best that he can be at it. Can you say the same thing? I know I have some work to do. I tend to start to feel sorry for myself. I wonder if Joseph did this. What are your thoughts?
Picture taken from the play Joseph and the Techni-Color Dream Coat that my brother-in-law was in. The camel was tired and done!

No comments:
Post a Comment