So, I lied. We are doing so much and I have some down time, so I am going to start doing some blog posts to update you on what we are doing. We left Alaska Sunday – February 20th. i got up at 6 am to get ready (after going to bed at 1:30!). Got ready then got the kids up, the car loaded, picked up Stacie and was at the terminal at 8:11. Not to shabby for a “single” mom with 4 kids.
We got there, checked in, said goodbye to Stacie and then waited. We were boarded on a big van and taken to the C-17 that was going to take us to Yakoda AFB. We sat there for 2 hours. Side note: a C-17 is very load. Even with the engines off! After 2 hours, the informed us that the engines were not working properly and the flight wasn’t going to be leaving. So, I asked if they were coming to get us quickly so we could get on the plane that was scheduled to leave only 1 hour after the first flight. He said he’d check.
He came back about 20 minutes later and said that plane was having engine problems as well, but that they projected finishing the repairs in 1 ½ hours. So, the sent a van out to get us to take us back to the terminal. 10 minutes later, we were informed that the van coming to get us was stuck in the snow and they were sending another van to dig that van out. Then they would be up to get us. All I could think was that was just my luck!
Thankfully, Andrew Hansen saved us and delivered Burger King to some tired and hungry people. He saved the day for sure! We sat in the terminal until 1 when they finally loaded us on the bus with 2 other families and took us to the plane. I was never so happy to have a plane take off! I requested no peanut butter in our meals (they cost $5.85. FYI.) because of Justin’s peanut allergy. So, one of the other families got Turkey sandwiches, the other family got chicken sandwiches and we got peanut butter & Jelly Uncrustables. All I could think again is it’s just my luck! Thankfully one of the families ordered an extra and we just traded them for Justin’s.
The ride was pretty uneventful. We got our food when we hit cruising altitude and I gave the kids some Benadryl. We ate and all laid down for a nap. Kennie and I slept for an hour and the other 3 slept for 2. Not bad for a loud C-17! The boys enjoyed playing DSi’s and Star Wars with the other boys their age on the flight. Maggie made friends with a little 6 year old girl who just adored Maggie. Maggie also adored the 4 month old little boy on the plane. We got to Japan at 5:45 pm Monday night. We lost a whole day on the flight.
We adjusted to Japan time pretty quick. It has been so much fun. It’s nice to not be alone. Company is something I didn’t realize I would miss so much!! I am so thankful for Shelby and Johnny letting us come stay here! It’s time to get ready for church, so I have to run, but I’ll post more later tonight! We gave done some super fun things. I get sad at times that we are doing all of this without Aaron. Especially since he served his mission in Tokyo. Sayonara!
1 comment:
You are so brave! I am glad that you are having so much fun!!
Post a Comment