So, last Sunday, mom called me and told me about their Relief Society lesson. It was on Keeping the Sabbath Day Holy. One of the older ladies in the ward told about a recent struggle she had with her husband.
He is older than she is and hasn’t felt up to going to church lately. He sits most of the day in his chair watching TV. On Sundays, she just wants to read her Scriptures or the Ensign or just chat. She doesn’t want to watch the TV or listen to the radio. But, she feels guilty when she doesn’t spend time with him. She was so excited when she figured out a solution.
Ready for this….. She took our her hearing aid! That way, she could be in the same room but have the ability to focus on what is important to her. I laughed. Seriously just laughed. My first thought, is dear sweet Dixie.
The more I have thought about this, the more I think that this can apply to even us without hearing aids! It will take practice, but we need to learn how we can tune out those things that are distracting us from what is most important. That is one of the reasons my focus this year is Focusing on What Matters Most!! Spending time with my kids on my lap reading a book. Writing my husband a letter, making a scrapbook page for the kids books or taking a bubble bath to clear my head. My scripture study or personal prayer. Family Home Evening. Teaching my kiddos the basics of the Gospel, Language Arts or how to be a friend.
My long list of things to do can wait. My kids can’t. In short, this year, I am going to learn how to “take out my hearing aid!” If you are interested in my monthly sheets to hang in your house to help remind you of these principles, please let me know. I would be more than happy to share! I am so THANKFUL for the opportunity I have to stop. Slow down. Look around and see all that God has blessed me with. So, are you ready to take out your hearing aid? :)
5 comments:
I *LOVE* this analogy! Thanks so much for sharing!! Great thoughts...
I would love the monthly ideas! I need them! Thanks for this thought! Love you friend!
That is awesome! Thank you for sharing!!
I think my mom taught the lesson that week! LOL I would be interested in the sheets as reminders.
xoxo
Love it! Thanks for sharing! So true--kids are only kids once.
Post a Comment