Design

Saturday, October 23, 2010

So, this is what they meant?

We have all heard that every member is a missionary.  And, I have always figured that I would just lead by example.  And, it has worked so far!  :)  People ask questions.  I give answers.  I’m not your “typical” Mormon.  There were a few years that I was a “wild child.”  And people are usually thrown when they hear that.  Some even think differently of me.  We all know that I am not a shy individual.  I tend to speak my mind, especially when asked.  Plus, I believe I am quite liberal (when it comes to Mormons.  Hence, not a typical Mormon.)  So, imagine my surprise when the missionaries asked me to start attending the Gospel Principles class.  They wanted my input with the lessons.  They thought it would help the investigators. (True, you can all stop laughing now!)

Enter Brittany.  Brittany’s husband is a member, but hasn’t been active for a very long time.  She had some questions about her church and started meeting with the missionaries to get her questions answered.  She ended up at church and we sat next to each other during Gospel Principles.  The Nursery leader brought Alesandra (her 2 year old daughter) in because she wouldn’t calm down.  Sandra didn’t even want Brittany to hold her, but I handed her my phone and she climbed up on my lap.  During the rest of the class, she sat on my lap and played on my phone.  Brittany was amazed because she has never done that before.  Anyway, I followed the spirit and invited her over for dinner that night.

The missionaries caught wind that Brittany and Sandra were coming for dinner and asked if they could join us for a lesson.  (Between you and me, they just wanted my good cookin’!)  Since that time, about 4 months ago, all but 1 of Brittany’s lessons have been at our house.  Brittany and Sandra have joined our family for family home evening and we have invited them to quite a lot of things.  I really enjoy hanging around with Brittany, and I hope she feels the same.  If not, she is spending an awful lot of time with someone she doesn’t like. :)

About a month ago, her life blew up!  She didn’t know which way was up.  We spent a lot of time on the phone and I helped her work through things.  We took her out to dinner (thank you IHOP!) and just showed her that we cared.  About a week later, she called and told me that she wanted to be baptized.  Words can not express the warmth that filled my soul.  I cried.  She laughed at me, but I cried.  I have watched her endure so many things and have stood in awe of her strength and character. 

I think I know what it feels like when a mama bird watches her baby fly for the first time.  One night last week, Brittany called me and expressed discomfort with a situation she was in.  One that if you didn’t have the standards that we have, would have been normal.  She felt odd.  Out of place.  She couldn’t get out of their fast enough.  I was so pleased that I was able to tell her that the spirit was telling her that she needed to get out of that situation.  It all clicked in her head! 

Tomorrow evening, 7 pm, Brittany will be getting baptized.  I am so thankful for so many things.  It is times like this that I am thankful I have a colorful past.  I was able to share experiences that I had and mistakes that I made and help her realize that we all make mistakes, but the Lord still loves us and if we follow his steps, those mistakes can be washed away.  I am so thankful that she feels comfortable to ask my any question, no matter how weird or strange she thinks it is.  We have had quite the conversations!  :)  I am so thankful that the Lord allowed me to be part of this special time for her.  I KNOW that it wasn’t me.  I know that I just said what he wanted me to say.  I am so glad that I was the right person, at the right time in the right place and said the right thing. 

This is what they meant.  The overwhelming love that is flowing from my heart is indescribable.  Seeing her  reminds me of the love that our Father in Heaven has for us.  I hope that I can continue to be an example to her and those around me.  I hope she will always remember how excited she is tonight.  I pray that she knows of my love for her, but more importantly, that she knows of our Father in Heaven’s love for her!  I was a part of something great!!  I was so excited, that I made 3, yes 3 White Chocolate Pumpkin Cheesecakes today to share after her baptism tomorrow.  Don’t you wish you were coming?  :)  Now, off to write my talk on Baptism before MY HUSBAND COMES HOME!!!  1 hour and 44 minutes!!!  Not that I’m counting!

7 comments:

Lorraine said...

Your post really lifted my heart. I am sure that the baptism will be wonderful!

Anonymous said...

You and Aaron were right and I was wrong. I'm a professional at being wrong, it's how I am. I'm sorry the way things turned out, it was my fault.

Cynthia said...

I saw your fb post and had to check your blog! I'm so glad that things worked the way they did- and bravo to you for listening and following the guidance you received. And yes, I wish I could come, for even more than some of your sure-to-be-yummy cheesecake!

alisa said...

Wow..that is a great story friend! So happy to hear the news! You are amazing!

Electrawoman said...

That is so neat

Anonymous said...

Sassy, you are one amazing woman! Thank you for being the example you are and for following the guidance of the Spirit the way you do! I can't get the song out of my head with the line (based off the scripture), "how great shall be your joy in the kingdom of our Father". Thank you for sharing!!

Melissa, Ethan, and Julianne said...

Wow--great story. Way to go for being a friend and missionary--that is awesome!!