Design

Friday, August 27, 2010

30,000+, Freezer meals and a giveaway

We just hit over 30,000 visitors on our blog.  We feel the love!!  So, I am going to do a give away.  Keep reading!

I have discovered the world of freezer meals.  WONDERFUL!!  I spent 3 - 4 hour sessions and have 34 freezer meals in my freezer.  (I didn't have a whole day that I could spend doing it.  It can easily be done in 1 day if you had the whole day to devote to it.  It would be better in my opinion to do it this way.) It was easier in my mind with us entering the homeschool world and talk of Aaron deploying in December.  Since I had a TON of people interested in what I did, I created a blog for freezer meals.  Check it out here.  If you have any recipes you would like to share - you can e-mail them to freezermealcrazy @ gmail dot com.  I will give credit to you! 

I used a book to figure out what I was doing.  I took a lot of my direction from this book:

Dinner is ready.  It was great.  Had some awesome points in it.  If you head over to the blog, make sure you click on the link at the top for the freezer meal basics.  So, head over and check it out!  Then, come back and leave a comment.  Tell me one thing that surprised you or one of the recipes that you would like to try.  I will pick one person who will recieve the book Dinner is Ready and a $25 visa gift card to get you started.  I will pick the winner (through random.org) on September 7th - My mom's birthday!  Good luck.  I hope this helps you as much as it helped me!

17 comments:

Rob Heyward Travels said...

Go Sassy! I love that you are doing this. I'm hoping to get back to doing this 1x-2x a month also. Two of my favorite books for freezer meals are:
Don't Panic - Dinner's in the Freezer: Great-Tasting Meals You Can Make Ahead by Susie Martinez, Vanda Howell & Bonnie Garcia.
Dream Dinners by Stephanie Allen and Tina Kuna. (I got it a few years ago, so the mistakes in several of the recipes have probably been fixed, but just in case look for the cookbook corrections on the Dream Dinners website.)

I checked out several OMAC (Once-A-Month-Cooking) books from the library when I started so I could see which ones I'd want to purchase. Thanks for the book recommendation - I'll be checking it out or getting it very soon!

Have a great day!
Deborah

Lorraine said...

A great new blog! I think I may try your manicotti recipe. It is something my husband really likes but I rarely (like once or twice in our marriage) make.

I regularly double my meals and freeze the extras. When I make lasagna, I double it and put it in 4 pans, so I get four dinners for the work of one. I use the 9x9 foil pans, and have found that they slide right into a gallon size zipper bag.

I have a freezer meatloaf recipe that a friend sent me a few months ago. It was yummy. I will have to send it your way!

Azimi Family said...

I love freezer meals!! There is a book Fabulous Freezer Meals and dinner on ice by Jenny Stranger. I think they are sold at costco. Anyway thanks for new recipes and reinspiration.Is that even a word?

Azimi Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shelby and Johnny Family said...

Wow! Love the website. I really like the manicotti recipe and it totally surprised me that you don't cook the noodles first. I really want to try it.

Marie said...

I will absolutely be trying the pineapple chicken.
and a light bulb went on when you mentioned doubling dinner so you would have extra meals .Why did I not think of that before.

Laura said...

Yay!! How fun! I love the new blog. These recipes look so so so good!! I am not sure they will ever make it to the freezer =) I am surprised that you don't cook the noodles in the 1st 2 recipes...you don't even have to use those weird no-cook noodles?? Anyway, it looks super awesome! I am excited =)

Here at home said...

Looks great. Hum, maybe something I should try, too. It may take me a couple of days to digest it all and get up the umph to actually do it. It would probably be a good thing for when this baby comes.
I'm surprised you can do so many meals in one day. And the recipes look delicious.
Fun stuff.

Here at home said...

OH, and I may just have to try the Italian Chicken!

Anonymous said...

WOW!! You are amazing!! That is a ton of work! I've doubled my casseroles before, but I haven't thought of filling my whole freezer! I will definitely have to learn more! Thanks for sharing!!

Cynthia said...

I love the new blog! I like your suggestion of having caffeineated drinks on hand on cooking day, as well as blaring loud music. Hee, hee.
I'm excited to try some of the recipes. :-) Question- how many meals do you get out of the mandarin orange chicken? (the only recipe I looked at today, but I will look at others on another occasion)

brandy said...

I love the idea behind your website! I am a HUGE fan of freezer meals! Since my world is going to be crazier than ever with 3 kids now, this is something I should totally start doing again.

I agree with Cynthia, you are so funny to mention caffeinated beverages and loud music. The caffeinated beverage is a daily must anyways for me :)

Good job on the website and I can't wait to find some yummy recipes!! My request would be anything GLUTEN-FREE :)

Leesa Marie Jones said...

How awesome of you to create that blog! We JUST bought a chest freezer last week and Dan asked when I was going to fill it with freezer meals! It was perfect when I saw your new blog about freezer meals.
I like the Hawaiin Chicken but had only made it in the crock pot before. And the "almost ravioli"...sounds like my kind of ravioli!
Thanks Sassy, I already put a link on my blog for it!!

Mom4ever said...

Hey, thanks for putting the work into sharing all the tips and recipes!

I'm wanting to try the Cream Cheese Chicken and the Cheese Manicotti...Mmmmm!

Denys said...

Hi! I love your name, btw..Anyway, I am such a horrible, lazy cook that I glommed onto your idea of freezer meals and checked out the freezer meal blogs. Thank you for all the helpful tips. I love homemade pizza and will definitely make some extra dough next time and just stick it in the freezer. I don't know if I'm in a place to be making all these meals now, as we're looking at moving (again) in about 1 or 2 mths - actually, maybe that would be good so I can have time to pack! If my baby, 4 year old in pre-school and high maintenence 6 year old boys ever let me have a minute!

Unknown said...

I'm so excited to try this. We are hosting a freezer meal swap soon, and my girlfriend and I are cooking a two week cycle together this upcoming week. I can't wait to see the money and stress this saves me. When I first heard about freezer cooking, I was thinking every meal would be a casserole covered in 18 pounds of cheese, but was pleasantly suprised to learn that many of the recipes are super healthy. I also love that having the entrees ready to go, means I can: 1.) spend more time preparing fresh produce, and 2.) spend WAY more time with my girls at a time of day when they seem to need me most. Thanks for giving me the extra motivation to finally get my freezer stocked. I'll keep you updated.

Hilary said...

I love the sound of this! I am loving the idea of making the manacotti with the noodles uncooked, I didn't realize you could do that. I have a tendancy to break them when I fill them. Love this idea! I have been looking for ways to help get dinner on the table a little more easily. Or at least Brit and the kids would like it. Thank You!